Create Free Account Rummy Tips and Tricks
Looking to sharpen your Rummy skills? Someone said, smart people don't do different things but do things differently. Practice our clever tips and tricks and you may well become a Rummy pro. Play Smart, Win Smart!
Rummy Winning Tips
- First things first: A Pure Sequence is your lifeline, so get that done first. Doing this ensures you don't get the sum of all points of all cards in your hand lest your opponent declares at any time.
- Keep a close watch on your opponent's playing. Keep a keen track of cards your opponent picks or discards from the Open deck or Hand so that you know which cards are to be hoarded and what to discard. Cards close to the ones being discarded or kept are the ones.
- Discarding high point cards like hot potatoes could save your game! Hoarding high point cards like Ace, King, Queen or Jack and waiting to form Sets and/or Sequences with them can increase your points burden lest your opponent declares before you.
- A Sequence (Pure or with a Joker) can have 4 cards. Most people think a Sequence cannot have more than 3 cards which is simply not true.
- Go for versatile middle cards. What this simply means is that middle cards can form more combinations with other middle cards than low or high value cards. E.g., a 6 of any suit can make a run with 4, 5 or 5, 7 or 7, 8 while an Ace can only make a run with 2, 3. See, you are already getting ahead so keep reading.
- More Jokers, the better your chances of winning. Jokers can set you free in any instant so be wise to use them fully! If you already have a lifeline i.e. a Pure Sequence, use the available Jokers to complete the 2nd Sequence. If you already have two Sequences, then use the available Jokers to first make Sets/Sequences with high point cards. Jokers are wasted in a Pure Sequence; it's best not to use them there.
- Use jokers wisely - If you have made a pure sequence but don't have a second sequence, use available jokers to first complete the 2nd sequence. If you already have two sequences (at least one pure), use available jokers to first make sets/sequences with high card points.
- Don't wait for the 'right' cards to make a Sequence. This is an important one, so please pay attention: Preferably keep two-consecutive cards over two alternate cards. For example, if you hold 8 ♥ and 10 ♥ (waiting for the 9 ♥ to make a Pure Sequence) and you draw the 7 ♥ of the same suit, keep it and discard the 10 ♥. This has two benefits: You can now make a Pure Sequence if you draw either the 9 ♥ or 6 ♥, and you might trick the opponent to discard the 9 ♥, if he has it.
- Alternate the Colours, Avoidconfusion: Arrange your cards in a red-black-red or black-red-black colour combination to reduce confusion and avoiddiscarding any useful card by mistake.
- Cards sitting idle in your hand? Another tricky tip: If the idle cards do not participate in two distinct Sequences or triplet chances, discard them. For example, if the last 3 idle cards in your hand are 5 ♣ 4 ♥ and 4 ♠ (which means there are two cards, 4 ♣ and 4 ♦ that will allow you to declare) and you draw 5 ♠, retain it and discard the 4 ♥. Doing this increases the number of cards that will allow you to declare from two to four - 5 ♦, 5 ♥, 3 ♠ and 6 ♠, thereby doubling your declaring chances. Just think about this a little, it makes a lot of sense.
Rummy winning Tricks
Like we saidearlier, Rummy is all about Skill - The skill to judge your cards and your opponent's behaviour. A smart opponent will be doing exactly the same with you. Keep these points in mind and you could trick your opponent to revealing his moves or misreading yours. So here goes:
- Picking up discarded cards to make your first Pure Sequence? Think again! The opponent knows what you are picking up and might hoard adjacent cards that you may need.
- Smartness lies in tricking the opponent to discard the cards you need. A typical example is, if you want to make a set of three 10s and you presently hold the 10 ♠, the 10 ♥ and the 9 ♣, discard the 9 ♣. The opponent might consider the 10 ♣ a safe card to discard thereby helping you to make your set. This process of tricking the opponent is called Fishing.
TOP Rummy Tips and Tricks to improve your rummy game
*These tips are just indicatory and may not result in you winning the game. RummyCircle.com takes no responsibility for any adverse outcomes resulting from following these tips.
Share your own tips or tricks with us on disqus
comments powered by Disqus